Community Disability Services Relief Worker
The Community Disability Services Relief Worker is a front-line community disability services role that has responsibility to support and facilitate the development of skills and competencies that will assist persons with disabilities to pursue and fulfill their goals, objectives and aspirations. Some of the tasks of the role is as follows:
- Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning and expansion of opportunities for personal growth and meaningful, values roles within the community.
- Assist, support and encourage individuals to achieve their personal goals through the development of basic living and related skills
- Assist and encourage individuals to participate effectively in employment, volunteer, recreational and other social settings
- Model Socially appropriate behaviors (for both individual and community)
- An understanding of the opportunities and options available to persons with disabilities
- Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills and participate directly in the care and maintenance of the individual’s living environment.
- Knowledge of basic rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
- Communication - Listening to others and communicating in an effective manner that fosters open communication:
- Flexibility - Adapting to and working effectively within a variety of situations, and with various groups.
- Client Focus - Identifying and responding to current and future client’s needs; providing service excellence to internal and external clients:
- Creative Problem solving and Decision Making - Identifying and solving problems by understanding the situation, seeking additional information, developing and weighing alternatives and choosing the most appropriate course of action given the circumstances.
- Values and Ethics - Depicting conduct, dispositions and viewpoints consistent with person integrity, as well as concern for, and sensitivity to, the fundamental values and ethics of the agency/organization/sector and the profession.
- Team Work - Working collaboratively with others to achieve common goals and positive results
- Professional Excellence - Concern for working towards standard of excellence.
- Fostering Independence in Others - Enabling others to be self-sufficient and to nurture self-determination, sharing of responsibility, with individuals and groups so that they have a deep sense of commitment and ownership.
- Self-Control - Keeping one’s emotions under control and restraining negative responses when provoked or when faced with opposition or hostility from others, or when working under conditions of stress.
- Interpersonal Relations and Respect – Dealing with people in a respectful and sensitive manner.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Criminal Record Check
- Professional growth and career development
- Making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities
- Rewarding and challenging opportunities
- Ongoing Professional development opportunities
- Flexible schedules
- Health benefits in regular positions over 20 hours per week